Monday, October 26, 2015

Brain and blood clot cupcakes

Hey y'all! 

This weekend a friend of mine had her annual Halloween Party! Hubby and I left Little Man with the grandparents and had a great time! You will get to see what our costumes were on Wednesday. 

A few years ago, my friend started having a contest for the yummiest, most grotesque looking food. This is the first year I actually participated. I found this link on Pinterest and decided that this was going to be my entry. 


The cupcakes are a doctored up version of boxed French Vanilla cake mix. I promise I will do that post soon. It's really quite easy!


The cupcakes are then cored and filled with strawberry jelly. This is the blood clot part of the cupcakes. The tartness also helps break up all the sweetness of the cake and icing. 


The icing is my standard buttercream recipe from Wilton, with Almond extract as flavoring. I mixed together pink, yellow, blue and a tiny bit of black to make the fleshy grey color of the "brains." These we're lot easier to do than I thought they would be. All I had to do was do a big squiggle on each side of the cupcake, and a smaller squiggle on top of each big squiggle. The squiggles were made with Wilton Tip #3. 


And there you have it! They were big hit at the party, and although there weren't any prizes, I won the contest! We had a blast at the party, and are already planning what we will befor next year!! 

Happy Halloween Week! See y'all Wednesday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment