Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Birthday Cake Fail, and Redemption!

Hey y'all! 

As promised, here is the story of my dad's birthday cake. His birthday was Sunday. As you all have probably figured out by now, I enjoy decorating cakes. I took all four Wilton Cake Decorating classes last year, and have done a few special occasion cakes since. 

Well, as my gift to everyone, I have been doing my family's birthday cakes. Except my husband......he never wants to make a big deal out of his birthday, and it's kind of hard to surprise him with a cake because we live in the same house. 

Anyway......
So I go to Pinterest and find this cake design. It looks simple enough, and goes with the fall designs we usually do on dad's birthday cakes, so I got to work making it. It turned out beautiful!

However.....


....this happened. I. Was. Devastated!! That cake was simple, but time consuming! I felt so bad. And my dad, being the awesome dad he is, ended up comforting me on his birthday!

Well, this year, I was determined to right this tragic wrong! I got my redemption in the form of the new cake....


It's not as pretty as the original one was, but it didn't fall on the ground so I call it a win! Just to be sure, we had it at my house so I didn't have to try to transport it anywhere! And sorry for the blurry photo, not sure what was up with my phone that day. BTW, don't you just love Timehop? It's great when it brings up past cute photos and videos of my little man, not so much when it brings up past failures!

I like this cake because it is chocolate with chocolate icing. I filled it with Marshmallow fluff, which actually ended up soaking into the cake and just made it extra moist and yummy! When the slices are cut, each slice looks like a candy corn!

Dad was very happy with his cake this year, and is grateful that he finally got one! lol. Here's to hoping this doesn't happen again with any of my cakes!
Hope y'all got a good laugh! Have a great week and I'll see ya Friday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment