Friday, September 11, 2015

Pumpkin Spice is Oh, So Nice!

Remember this little wooden sign I mentioned before? 


I told you it would become a feature in a post soon. I am going to turn this blank piece of wood into this cute sign for my mantle! 


First, I painted the frame. I chose a bronze color, but you can do whatever you want. I also thought gold would look nice. 


As you can see in the picture, it doesn't have to be perfect because I will be going over the inside with a darker color. For that darker color, I mixed brown, blue, and black. It made it come out to this really neat charcoal grey color! 


I know it looks black in the pictures, but up close it is a dark charcoal grey. Plus the paint was still wet in this picture. 

I let the paint dry overnight. Partly, because it is a good idea to let it dry all the way through, and partly because I have a 2 year old, and nap time was over. ;) 

Then, I sketched out what I was going to paint. In the interest of full disclosure, I didn't come up with this out of thin air. There was a print that said this at Hobby Lobby, and I loved it but it was HUGE! And it didn't have the coffee cup on it. Also, I practiced on a piece of sketch paper before committing it to the sign. 


You can see, that even with practice I had to do some erasing. 

Once I got it looking exactly how I wanted, I painted in the words and pictures with white. 


Honestly, you could stop here. And I almost did, but I decided it needed a little touch of color. 


I also painted over the spots of the background that were affected by my erasing mistakes. Once the paint dried you weren't even able to tell the difference. (it's still wet in the picture) 


Here is my finished fall mantle! I love the way everything turned out! The sign looks like a chalkboard, and in case you couldn't tell, I am absolutely LOVING chalkboards! The saying on it is also kind of tongue-in-cheek, which is totally my sense of humor! Soon, I will have some more fall decor for you guys! 

Talk at ya later! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment