Thursday, September 3, 2015

Fireplace Banner

I LOVE Fall!
Fall and Winter are my favorite seasons! They hold my favorite holidays, and I love the clothing way better than in summer (not big on showing lots of skin)! 

Now that September is here, it is time for me to start changing up my decor. I usually start with my fireplace because it is the easiest to change. The reason it is the easiest, is because of this nifty banner I have! It is actually three banner sets purchased from Joann Fabrics. I used my own twine (so it would be long enough) and strung all fifteen pieces together and it remains tied to my mantle all year long. I change what it says based on the season, or holiday. 

So, I started with my most recent banner. This one was for summer. 


Then I cleaned it off with a wet paper towel. What you need to know is that these are just little pieces of wood painted with chalk paint. The woodgrain still shows through, so some of the chalk (or liquid chalk markers, like I use) gets stuck in the grooves. After I clean the banners, I color over those spots with a black chalk marker. After it dries, I wipe it off and I am left with a clean slate to start with!


Then, I rearrange the flags to what they will be with the new design just to make sure it won't look weird or off center. 


BTW, there MIGHT have been a Hobby Lobby 
Trip between cleaning off the banner, and arranging it. The little wooden sign on top of the mantle will be a feature in an upcoming blog post. ;) 

I have been enjoying the saying, "Happy Fall Y'all" so I thought I would include that in my decor this year. 


That is all there is to it! Here are some close ups so you can get an idea of the details! Hope you all have a great weekend and I will see you Monday with my next planner post and a drawing challenge update! 



P.S.: The Hobby Lobby trip was actually for the orange chalk marker that I used on the banner, so it was totally necessary! So what if I ended up buying other things too.......right?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment